Grilled Stuffed Calamari
If your experience with calamari is limited to the deep-fried or boiled preparations, this grilled version will be a revelation.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 heads frisee, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound squid, bodies only, rinsed and halved crosswise (about 8)
Prepare a stove-top griddle or an outdoor grill.
In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, frisee, and capers. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice and zest, and salt and pepper. Drizzle over the frisee mixture and toss to coat.
Stuff 1 tablespoon of the frisee mixture into each squid. Brush the remaining teaspoon of olive oil on the squid.
Grill for 5 to 7 minutes, turning frequently.