Hot and Sour Broth with Shredded Chicken
This is a version of the classic Chinese hot and sour soup. Unlike the traditional version, though, this broth is very light. If you cannot find the mushrooms or other ingredients, improvise.
- 6 large dried black mushrooms, lightly washed
- 6 dried tree ear mushrooms, lightly washed
- 6 dried tiger lily buds
- 4-8 fresh thai chili peppers, or to taste
- 6 cups Chicken Stock, or low-sodium canned, or water
- 1 chicken breast, poached and shredded
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced bamboo, or bamboo shoots
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 pound firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, zested
In a large saucepan or stockpot, combine the black and tree ear mushrooms, tiger lily buds, and chili peppers with the stock or water. Bring to a boil.
Remove from the heat and steep for 30 minutes. Remove 2 black and 4 tree ear mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch slices, and reserve.
Reheat the stock until almost boiling. Divide the chicken, bamboo, carrots, tofu, and scallions among 4 bowls. Pour the hot broth into the bowls and garnish with the reserved mushrooms, cilantro leaves, and lime, and serve.