Granola with Flaxseed
This granola has double dose of flaxseed: ground and in its oil form. With its protein and carbohydrates, this cereal is ideal when you need an energy boost.
- Yield: Makes 5 1/2 cups
Photography: Tina Rupp
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2004
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) sliced blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground golden flaxseed (from about 1 1/2 teaspoons whole)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss together oats, coconut, and almonds in a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk together vegetable oil and honey in a small bowl; stir into oats mixture. Spread out oats mixture on a rimmed baking sheet.
Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes; toss with flaxseed oil. Let cool completely. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in dried cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds, and ground flaxseed.