Cinnamon-Spiced Moroccan Chicken
This easy, dressed-up chicken has its roots in North African cooking. Its flavorful warmth comes from cinnamon, turmeric, and chili powder.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Maria Robledo
Source: Body+Soul, October 2005
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup whole dates, pitted and sliced
Combine 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon with the cumin, turmeric, chili powder, and salt in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and toss well to coat.
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick pan. Saute the chicken over medium heat until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet.
Saute apples and dates in the skillet for 1 minute. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon cinnamon; cook and stir to coat. Spoon apples and dates onto chicken. Serve warm.