Crunchy Chicken Tenders with Herb-Buttermilk Dressing
Inspired by: Hot wings. Why it's better: Breast meat for lean protein, skinless for less fat.
For the Chicken
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded to even thickness, cut into strips
- 2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Olive oil, for drizzling
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoons chives, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 stalks celery, cut into sticks
- 2 romaine hearts, quartered
- Hot sauce to taste
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a wire rack. Combine buttermilk, mustard, salt, and cayenne in a nonreactive dish. Dip chicken in mixture and transfer to dish with breadcrumbs, pressing to coat. Transfer to baking sheet. Drizzle with oil. Bake until golden and chicken is cooked through, about 16 minutes. Season with salt.
Meanwhile, combine buttermilk, yogurt, chives, and salt in a bowl for dressing. (Add 1 Tbsp. crumbled blue cheese, if desired.)
Serve chicken with dressing, celery, romaine hearts, and hot sauce.
SourceWhole Living, October 2010