For the best you've ever tasted, think outside the box. This do-it-yourself mix can be customized with whatever nuts, seeds, and dried fruit sound good to you. (We've included some of our favorite combinations.)
Source: Body+Soul, April 2010
- 6 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cups nuts, such as almonds, pistachios, walnuts, etc., coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup seeds, such as sunflower, pepitas, etc.
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal, wheat germ, or a mixture of the two
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sweetener, such as honey, agave syrup, or molasses
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dried fruit, such as sour cherries, cranberries, currants, raisins, apricots, figs, or pineapple, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the oats, nuts, seeds, flax and/or wheat germ, and cinnamon in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and the salt until frothy. Whisk in the sweetener and the olive oil. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir until the oats are evenly coated.
Transfer mixture to two rimmed baking sheets and spread flat.
Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip with a spatula, moving granola from the outer edges to the center of the sheet. Continue to cook until golden, about 10 minutes more. (If the granola starts to brown too much at the edges, gently stir those parts into the middle.)
Cool completely on pan, then transfer to a bowl and gently stir in the dried fruit.