Caramelized-Onion Dip with Vegetables
The secret to this luscious onion dip is mixing low-calorie Greek yogurt with a smaller amount of sour cream.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds onions (about 4 large), diced (8 cups)
- Coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- 24 small carrots
- 24 celery stalks, cut up
- 24 radishes, cut up
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook onions with 2 teaspoons salt, stirring often, until caramelized, 35 to 40 minutes.
Add water; cook, scraping any brown bits from bottom to deglaze skillet. Transfer onions with brown bits to a medium bowl; let cool for 30 minutes.
Stir yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice, and cayenne into onions. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Sprinkle with cayenne. Serve with vegetables.