Almond Chicken Soup with Sweet Potato, Collards, and Ginger
Sweet potato and almond butter give this soup a creamy, decadent texture.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- 1 cup collard leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Combine the stock, onion, garlic, and sweet potato in a stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chicken, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the almond butter and 1/2 cup of the soup mixture into a thick paste. Add the collard leaves and ginger to the soup and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the almond butter paste. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls, and squeeze with lime wedge.
SourceWhole Living, January/February 2011