Creamy Broccoli-White Bean Soup
Adding pre-steamed broccoli florets to soup with olive oil, pine nuts, and garlic cloves makes a complete hearty meal.
- Servings: 4
Source: Whole Living, January/February 2011
- 1 head broccoli (1 pound), cut into florets, stems thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 ounce shaved Parmesan, for serving
Steam broccoli florets and stems until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup florets for garnish.
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add beans and stock and bring mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat and add broccoli; puree in batches in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with broccoli florets, toasted pine nuts, and shaved Parmesan.