Millet Bowl with Black Beans and Vegetables
This hearty meal is full of clean, flavorful ingredients. With no gluten, dairy, soy, meat, or added sugar, it's the perfect detox food.
- 1/4 cup millet
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (2 ounces), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 baby bok choy, halved
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
Place millet, black beans, and ginger in a small saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil, stir once, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Steam shiitakes in a steamer over boiling water, covered, for 3 minutes. Add carrots and bok choy and steam 4 to 6 minutes more. Remove steamer from heat.
In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar to make dressing. Season with a dash of salt.
Transfer millet to bowls and garnish with steamed and remaining raw vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over top and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
SourceWhole Living, January/February 2011