Sauteed Plums in Maple Syrup
Bartlett or Anjou pears can be substituted for the plums here.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Whole Living, October 2012
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or scraped vanilla bean
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 pound plums, pitted and sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch fine-grain sea salt
In a medium saucepan, warm butter over medium-high heat until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and cardamom, then remove from heat and stir. Let stand 10 minutes.
Add sliced plums, maple syrup, and salt, and cook over medium heat until juicy, about 3 minutes.