Lightened-Up Turkey Meatballs
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Anson Smart
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup finely diced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more torn for serving
- 3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano, divided
- Coarse salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 7 cups marinara sauce
In a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium. Saute onion and mushrooms until onion is translucent and mushrooms are soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs. Let cool to room temperature; slowly stir in milk.
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain and return to pot. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, gently combine breadcrumb mixture with turkey, basil, 2 tablespoons Pecorino, 3 teaspoons salt, and egg white. Form into 30 meatballs.
In a medium pot, bring the marinara to a simmer. Submerge the meatballs in the sauce and simmer until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve over spaghetti, topped with remaining tablespoon Pecorino and basil leaves.