Cherry-Date Oat Bars
Stash one of these bars in your purse or backpack for a nutritious, gluten-free snack on-the-go.
- Yield: Makes 9
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- Coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cherries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried dates
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup smooth natural almond butter (at room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxmeal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush an 8-by-8-inch pan with oil and line with parchment paper.
Combine oats, cherries, dates, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, combine almond butter, flaxmeal, applesauce, honey, orange juice, and vanilla and stir to combine. Add wet mix to dry one and stir to combine. Press mixture evenly into pan with your fingers and bake on middle rack until golden brown and firm, 30 minutes. Let cool completely, then remove from pan and cut into 9 squares.