Under 30 Minutes
Sweet Potato Hummus
Sweet potatoes' orange glow gives away their beta-carotene content. By serving this dip with whole-wheat pita and raw vegetables such as red peppers and broccoli, you also get selenium, vitamin C, and sulforaphane.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (19.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Whole-wheat pita and crudites such as red pepper and broccoli
Set a steamer basket in a large pot. Fill with enough water to come just below basket; bring to a boil. Add potatoes; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.
Combine chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, oil, cumin, and garlic in the food processor. Puree, about 1 minute; thin with water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper and let cool; refrigerate, in an airtight container, up to 1 week. Serve with pita and crudites.