Warm Red-Lentil Dal with Pita Chips
This lentil dish is versatile: Serve this dal as a dip with pita chips or as a side dish with grilled meats or fish.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Earl Carter
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2002
- 1/2 pound red lentils (about 1 1/4 cups), picked over and rinsed
- One 14 1/2-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth, or homemade, skimmed of fat
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 large tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
In a medium saucepan, combine lentils, broth, water, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; add garlic, cumin seeds, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Remove the lentils from heat, and stir in the garlic mixture, diced tomato, mint, and salt. Serve warm.