Red Cabbage Salad with Spicy Grilled Chicken and Pepitas
This fresh take on a Southwestern dish gets its crunch from pumpkin seeds and cabbage. Use the tortillas to make a wrap or serve them on the side.
- 1/3 cup pepitas (green hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 2 ears corn, husked
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas (7 inches)
- 3 ounces baby spinach (4 cups)
- 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 3 limes), plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
Toast pepitas in a heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and starting to pop, 2 to 4 minutes; transfer to a plate. Slice kernels off corncobs. Return skillet to medium-high heat. Cook corn, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Stir in onion. Combine spices and 1 teaspoon salt; stir 1 teaspoon into corn. Season chicken evenly on both sides with remaining 2 teaspoons spice mixture.
Working in batches, grill cutlets, 2 at a time, in a grill pan over medium-high heat, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip; reduce heat to medium. Grill until cooked through, about 2 minutes; remove from pan, and slice.
Toast whole-wheat tortillas, 1 at a time, in grill pan, about 15 seconds per side.
Toss spinach and cabbage with corn mixture. Toss in pepitas, lime juice, and oil. Divide among 4 plates. Serve with chicken, tortillas, yogurt, and lime wedges.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, September 2010