Farro, Pea Shoot, and Goat Cheese Salad
This salad uses tendrils of young pea plants along with the peas to go with farro, a wheat-based grain.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Raymond Hom
Source: Whole Living, May 2011
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup fresh shelled peas (from 1 lb peas in pods)
- 2 ounces pea shoots, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup small fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
Cook farro, according to package directions and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to a large bowl.
As farro cooks, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add peas and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and run under cold water.
Add peas, pea shoots, mint, almonds, and lemon zest to farro. Toss with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Top with goat cheese.