Mostly Not Potato Salad
Adapted with permission from "Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen" by Heidi Swanson, copyright 2011. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces green beans, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon natural cane sugar
- Fine-grain sea salt
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 6 small stalks celery, trimmed and diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 6 ounces extra-firm tofu, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
Bring a medium pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes. Just before potatoes are done, add green beans to the pot for 30 seconds. Drain and set aside.
Whisk mustard, vinegar, 2 teaspoons oil, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek and dill, and saute, stirring occasionally, until golden and slightly crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.
Gently toss potatoes and green beans, celery, cucumber, tofu, chives, and half the leeks with the mustard dressing in a bowl. Adjust salt if necessary. Top with remaining leeks. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
SourceWhole Living, May 2011