- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 pound rustic bread (half a small loaf ), crusts removed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 anchovy fillet (optional)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce (about 10 ounces each), outer leaves discarded, inner leaves cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mash 1 garlic clove with the salt to form a smooth paste. Add bread cubes, and toss to combine. Spread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 20 minutes, turning once.
Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, mince remaining garlic clove with the anchovy, if using, to form a smooth paste. Whisk in lemon juice, Worcestershire, mustard, and the pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil.
In a large serving bowl, toss lettuce with vinaigrette and reserved croutons. Serve immediately, garnished with shaved Parmesan.