Blackberry Macaroon Tart
Adapted with permission from "Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen" by Heidi Swanson, copyright 2011. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup sifted and lightly packed natural cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sifted and lightly packed natural cane sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 8 ounces fresh blackberries, halved
- 1/3 cup pistachios, crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in middle of oven. Butter an 8-by-11-inch tart pan and line bottom and sides with parchment paper.
Make the crust: Combine flour, coconut, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in melted butter and mix until dough is crumbly. Firmly press mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until just golden, about 15 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, make the filling: Combine coconut, sugar, and egg whites. Stir until well combined.
Arrange blackberries in crust. Evenly top berries with small dollops of macaroon filling.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until peaks of macaroon filling are deeply golden. Let cool, and garnish with pistachios. Slice into small squares.
SourceWhole Living, May 2011