Spicy Clams with Spaghetti
Clams are naturally salty, so taste the finished dish before seasoning with any additional salt.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 2
Photography: Linda Pugliese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 18 littleneck clams (about 1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon thinly sliced stems
Bring a medium pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add wine and bring to a simmer. Increase heat to medium-high and add clams. Cover and cook just until clams open, 4 to 5 minutes. Discard unopened clams.
Stir in butter and parsley leaves and stems. Add pasta and toss to coat, adding reserved pasta water 1 tablespoon at a time, until sauce is loose and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.