Hazelnut Carrot-Oat Cupcakes with Cream-Cheese Frosting
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 1 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January/February 2014
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for frosting
- 7 tablespoons skinless hazelnuts, toasted, 1/4 cup finely chopped, 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup packed finely grated peeled carrots (from 3 medium carrots)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, and finely chopped hazelnuts. In another medium bowl, whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, orange zest, and carrots until combined. Fold oil mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full.
Bake cupcakes until golden and a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Let cupcakes cool in pan 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth; season with a pinch of salt. Frost cupcakes, then sprinkle with coarsely chopped hazelnuts.