Buckwheat Waffles with Fresh Ricotta and Citrus
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes about 6
Photography: Jonathan Lovekin
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta
- 2 blood oranges, peel and pith removed, sliced or segmented
- 2 Cara Cara oranges, peel and pith removed, sliced or segmented
- 4 clementines, peel and pith removed, sliced or segmented
- Honey, for serving
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, and egg until combined. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Let batter stand, uncovered, 20 minutes.
Preheat a waffle iron and lightly coat with cooking spray. Cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions (for standard-size Belgian waffles, fill each cavity with about 1/2 cup batter) until golden brown and crisp (for Belgian waffles, about 8 minutes).
Top each waffle with ricotta and citrus fruits, and drizzle with honey; serve.