- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups molasses
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 ounces candied ginger slices, finely chopped (a scant 1/2 cup)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place four 4 1/2-by-7-inch parchment-lined Panibois (wooden) baking pans or buttered 3 3/4-by-6 1/2-inch loaf pans on a baking sheet.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until combined and scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Add vanilla and molasses in a slow stream. Reduce speed to medium-low and gradually add buttermilk, beating until incorporated. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until incorporated.
Divide batter among pans and spread evenly. Sprinkle with candied ginger.
Bake, rotating baking sheet halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer loaves to a wire rack. If using loaf pans, unmold after 30 minutes. Let cool completely.