Baked Fish and Chips
- 2 russet potatoes (1 1/4 pounds total), cut into very thin slices with a handheld slicer
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups panko
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless cod fillet, cut into 1-inch-thick strips
- Lemon and cucumber wedges, malt vinegar, ketchup, and flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds. Soak potatoes in warm water 5 minutes; drain and dry thoroughly. Toss with oil and rosemary, season with salt and pepper, and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake on top rack 20 minutes. Meanwhile, toast panko on another rimmed baking sheet on bottom rack until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wide dish. Place flour in another dish; season with salt and pepper. Whisk eggs in a third dish. Season fish with salt; coat in flour, then eggs, then panko. Transfer, narrow side down, to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Flip potatoes; transfer to lower rack. Place fish on upper rack; bake until fish is just cooked through and potatoes are crisp and golden brown in places, 16 to 18 minutes. Serve with lemon and cucumber wedges, vinegar, ketchup, and salt.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2013