- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes about 2 3/4 cups
Photography: MARIA ROBLEDO
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2013
- 1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped shallots (from 3 large or 8 small shallots)
- 4 small cloves garlic, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
Spread half of bacon in a single layer in a large skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned, 20 to 23 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Remove fat; clean pan. Repeat with remaining bacon, reserving browned bits and 1 tablespoon fat in pan.
Add shallots and garlic to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, ginger, and mustard and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Increase heat to high; add bourbon and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Add vinegar and brown sugar and return to a boil. Add reserved bacon; reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid reduces to a thick glaze, about 10 minutes.
Transfer mixture to a food processor and pulse until it has the consistency of a chunky jam. Refrigerate in an airtight container at least 1 hour and up to 4 weeks.