Quick Royal Icing
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar, plus more if needed
- 5 tablespoons meringue powder
- A scant 1/4 cup water, plus more if needed
- Gel-paste food coloring in desired colors (available at sugarcraft.com), for tinting
Beat together sugar, meringue powder, and water in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium speed until smooth and opaque white, about 7 minutes. If icing is too thick, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time; if too thin, beat icing 2 to 3 minutes more, or add more sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Divide icing into batches, and mix in a different shade of food coloring to each to tint. Use immediately or store in refrigerator overnight. Stir before using.