Roasted Sweet-Potato and Farro Salad
Savory, sweet, and nutty all at once, this is a salad that can be enjoyed warm or chilled.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Ryan Liebe
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2013
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup semi-pearled farro (about 7 ounces)
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup radish or arugula sprouts or baby watercress, plus more for garnish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Divide sweet potatoes and garlic between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread into a single layer. Roast, flipping once, until tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cover farro with 4 inches water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain; toss with remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Season with salt.
When cool enough to handle, remove garlic from peels and mash with lemon zest and juice in a small bowl. Add garlic mixture, sweet potatoes, dill, and sprouts to farro; stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with sprouts.
Keep the skins on sweet potatoes to save time, fiber, and nutrients. When roasted, skins offer a great textural contrast to the creamy flesh.