Martha's French Toast
- Yield: Makes 6 slices
Photography: Mike Krautter
Source: Martha Bakes
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon juice
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more if necessary
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more if necessary for pan and serving
- 6 1/2-inch-thick slices brioche
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
In a large shallow dish, whisk to combine eggs, liqueur, sugar, large pinch of salt, and orange zest and juice, and milk.
In a large heavy skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat until sizzling. Gently dip brioche, one slice at a time, into egg mixture to coat, and add to skillet (do not crowd pan). In batches, cook until golden brown on both sides, 5 minutes per batch, flipping once. Repeat with remaining brioche, adding more oil and butter as needed. (Reduce heat if brioche is browning too quickly.) Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Serve with butter and maple syrup.