Roasted Squash with Shallots, Grapes, and Sage
Scoop out the squash seeds and roast them for a nutritious snack.
- 2 acorn squashes (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound mixed black and red grapes (about 3 cups)
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons packed small fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/3 cups cooked spelt, wheat berries, barley, or other whole grain
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squashes in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and reserve, if desired (see note, above).
Brush cut sides of squash halves with 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Place, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Combine grapes, shallot, and sage in a bowl and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper; place around squash. Roast, stirring grape mixture once, until squash is tender and grape mixture is caramelized, 35 to 40 minutes. To serve, fill squash with grain and grape mixture.