Easy Turkey Stock
Use the neck and heart that come inside the turkey, and augment them with turkey wings from your butcher, if desired. You can also make this stock well in advance of the holiday by using just turkey wings; let it cool completely after straining, then freeze up to three months.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes about 5 cups
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2013
- Neck and heart from a 14-pound turkey, and/or 1 pound turkey wings
- 10 cups cold water
- 1 carrot, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- Small handful of flat-leaf parsley sprigs and stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 whole black peppercorns
Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming froth off top occasionally, until reduced by half, about 1 hour. Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids.