1 of 4
The key to cutting a butternut squash is halving the squash into two manageable sections.
Start by cutting off the stem with a large, sharp knife.
2 of 4
Turn the squash so the cut end is facing away from you, and insert the tip of your knife straight down into the center of the vegetable, keeping it stable with your free hand. Press the handle of the knife down until you cut through the bottom half.
3 of 4
Rotate the squash 180 degrees and insert the knife into the center again, repeating the technique in step 2 to halve the squash.
4 of 4
Now the seeds can be removed and the squash prepared as your recipe specifies.
Browse our favorite Butternut Squash Recipes.
You Just Viewed
How to Cut a Butternut SquashReplay
- 12 Homekeeping Multitaskers
- Editors' Picks: The Best of Decoupage
- Bedroom Organizers
- Embroidery Projects
- 10 Ways to Get Creative with Candles
- Tips and Tricks for Hosting a Cocktail Party
- What's for Dinner? 10 Budget Meals
- Vegetarian Recipes for Entertaining
- How to Make Crepe-Paper Flowers
- Double-Duty Dinners
- Roast Chicken 101
- Pet-Inspired Projects
- Our Favorite Bathrooms
- Fun Birthday Cake Designs: The Icing on a Perfect Party
- Healthy (but Fun!) Lunches for Kids