1 of 10
Have you ever wondered whose job it is to come up with those pun-perfect names for OPI nail polishes, like Pink Before You Leap? Meet Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, the brains and bravado behind the brand’s trend-sparking shades. “When we started out, 24 years ago, nail polishes had boring names like Red #47,” she says. Now this Hungarian immigrant and onetime acrylic-nail-system creator collaborates with some of the biggest celebrities and musicians (Katy Perry, Mariah Carey, Serena Williams) -- which just goes to show how far a great product and a little pluck can take you.
2 of 10
Her Favorite Things:
Fourteen years after its launch, I’m Not Really a Waitress remains OPI’s best-selling shade.
3 of 10
Weiss-Fischmann favors Paul Smith’s neutral rectangular frames.
4 of 10
“I love classics like jeans, a great top, and heels,” she says. “This dark-wash denim is a good mix of sleek and comfortable.”
5 of 10
Cast-Iron Casserole, by Martha Stewart Collection:
“Food is very important to our family. My 90-year-old Hungarian mother is still a great cook,” she says. The most used item in her kitchen: the French oven.
6 qt., $150, macys.com
6 of 10
Fleurs et Papillons de Tissus Silk Scarf:
“I’ve collected Hermès scarves ever since I got one as a gift when I was in college.”
7 of 10
Tom Ford Illuminating Highlight Pen:
“I use the Tom Ford Illuminating Highlight Pen when I’m traveling to help me emerge from the plane looking refreshed,” she says.
8 of 10
“When I was growing up in a Communist country, discipline was drilled into me, so I’m very organized,” she says. “I have an iPhone and a BlackBerry, but I also need to write everything in my planner.”
9 of 10
Chanel Glossimer, in Giggle:
Weiss-Fischmann’s favorite lip color hasn’t wavered in 15 years.
10 of 10
La Cornue Oven:
Her home-décor aesthetic veers toward a calming beige palette. The one exception: her bright-green La Cornue oven.
From $6,800, lacornueusa.com
You Just Viewed
Tastemaker: Suzi Weiss FischmannReplay
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Decorate with Brass
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- A Blueprint for Color
- The Barest Simmer
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions