Black Bean and Almond Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped red onion (from 1 large onion)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 1 rounded tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (about 15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted, plus more for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, for serving
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 cups onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beans and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until beans are heated through and creamy, about 10 minutes; let cool 10 minutes.
Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender and add some cilantro and almonds. Pulse until beans are coarsely chopped but not pureed (do not overprocess). Season with salt and pepper and rewarm in pot. Divide soup among 4 bowls and serve with remaining 1/2 cup onion, cilantro, almonds, avocado, and yogurt.