Chickpea Soup with Parsley and Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 5 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced (about 2 tablespoons)
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cans (about 15 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, for serving
- Finely shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Toasts or bread, for serving
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; season with salt and pepper. Cook until oil is infused and garlic is just beginning to color (do not let brown), 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer garlic chips to a plate.
Add chickpeas to oil in pot, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until heated through and creamy, about 5 minutes. Smash some of the chickpeas with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon. Add broth and water; simmer until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide soup among 4 bowls. Top with parsley, Parmesan, and garlic chips. Drizzle with oil and serve immediately with toasts.