Pear Cranberry Slab Pie
- Total Time:
- Servings: 24
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water, plus more if needed
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 1/4 pounds firm-ripe Bosc or Anjou pears (about 12), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh or unthawed frozen cranberries
Piecrust: Place flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with some blueberry-size clumps. Add ice water and pulse until just incorporated, about 10 times more. Squeeze a small amount of dough to make sure it holds together. If dough is too dry, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Turn out dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Bring edges of wrap together to gather dough and form into a flat rectangle. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Let dough stand at room temperature until pliable, then roll out to a 14-by-19-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet, tucking overhang under all around pan. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
Crumble topping: Stir together pecans, flour, oats, and salt. Beat together butter and sugars in a bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until creamy. Add pecan mixture and beat just until combined. Work mixture with your fingers until it forms clumps. Refrigerate until ready to use or up to 1 week.
Filling: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine pears, lemon juice, and vanilla-bean seeds. Stir in sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Spread mixture evenly in crust; top with cranberries.
Crumble large clumps of topping evenly over filling. Bake pie until crumble is golden brown (check after about 20 minutes and tent with foil if browning too quickly) and filling is bubbling, about 1 hour. Let cool on a wire rack at least 1 hour before cutting into squares.