Molasses-Gingerbread Cookie Dough for Cheesecake
You will only need half the recipe for the cheesecake; use the remaining dough to make cookie cutouts (see variation) or reserve it for another use; it will freeze up to one month. To make a honey gingerbread variation (as pictured on top of the cheesecake), replace 1/2 cup of the molasses with 1/2 cup honey, and substitute granulated sugar for the brown sugar.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, 2007
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- Royal Icing
Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl.
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add egg, beating well. Beat in molasses. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Divide dough into 2 portions; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until ready to use, at least 1 hour.