Roasted Tomato and Tarragon Soup
- Servings: 8
- 4 pounds plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more for thinning
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped tarragon
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss together tomatoes, onions, garlic and oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until tomatoes are deep brown in spots and onions are soft, 45 minutes.
Transfer vegetables and all juices to a large dutch oven or heavy pot. Add chicken broth and bring to a rapid simmer. Cook until slightly reduced, about 25 minutes.
Transfer soup to a large bowl. In batches, fill blender halfway with soup, puree until smooth, transferring to pot as you work (use caution when blending hot liquids). Stir in tarragon and season with salt and pepper. If necessary thin with additional chicken broth. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil.