Mushroom, Cheddar, and Toast Frittata
Thick cubes of bread make this dish feel like an inside-out egg sandwich.
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 slices sourdough bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (1 1/2 ounces)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper. In a 10-inch oven-safe, nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high. Add bread and cook, turning, until golden on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add remaining tablespoon butter and the mushrooms, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Lower heat to medium, add scallion whites, and cook until soft, 3 minutes more. Season. Add egg mixture to skillet, stirring until large curds form and eggs are halfway set, about 2 minutes. Press bread into eggs.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake until puffed and center is just set, 5 to 7 minutes. Top with scallion greens.