Grilled Eggplant with Tomatoes, Basil, and Feta
Grilled eggplant is a satisfying vegetarian main course.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Ryan Liebe
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2013
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1-inch-thick slices
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (about 10 ounces), halved
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, torn if large
Generously season eggplant slices with salt. Place vertically in a colander, overlapping them. Let stand 30 minutes; rinse and pat dry.
Preheat grill to medium-high. Liberally brush cut sides of eggplant with oil. Grill, turning once, until tender, about 4 minutes a side. Mix tomatoes, pine nuts, feta, red-pepper flakes, and oil; season with salt. Spoon over eggplant; top with basil.