Curried Lentil-and-Rice Loaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for loaf pans
- 2/3 cup white rice, preferably short-grain
- 2/3 cup green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 sweet onion, such as Vidalia, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 2 medium carrots, grated (about 1 cup lightly packed)
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 mini loaf pans or 1 standard loaf pan with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang; brush with oil. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, lentils, onion, and curry powder. Cook, stirring, until fragrant and toasted, about 3 minutes. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and lentils and rice are al dente, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer to pans; bake until tops are golden brown and firm, about 1 hour. Let cool at least 10 minutes.