Pulled Pork with Orange Barbecue Sauce
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 pounds), patted dry
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season pork with salt and pepper. Add to a large, straight-sided skillet along with onion and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover with parchment-lined foil and transfer to oven. Cook 2 hours.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine 1 teaspoon salt, juice concentrate, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook until mixture has thickened, 18 to 20 minutes. Reserve 1 3/4 cup sauce.
Remove skillet from oven and coat pork with sauce. Return to oven and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 2 hours, basting pork with sauce every 15 minutes. Skim fat, and shred pork and toss with reserved sauce to serve.