1 of 5
The Great Caper
Mediterranean cooks figured out the genius of these bright little bursts of piquancy centuries ago. They are a true power ingredient, elevating not just chicken piccata and salade Nicoise but simple dips, roasted vegetables, and more.
Learn how to choose and use these gems in our Salt-Packed Capers Cheat Sheet.
2 of 5
Caper Cream Cheese
Stir together 4 parts cream cheese and 1 part each sour cream and rinsed small salt-packed capers (chopped chives optional); season with pepper. Serve with crudites or on a bagel with lox, red onion, and a spritz of lemon.
3 of 5
Heat 1/4 inch olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry rinsed then dried salt-packed capers (preferably large) until buds open and shrivel, 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels; let cool. Sprinkle on salads and seafood or eat as a snack.
4 of 5
Melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Saute 1/4 cup rinsed salt-packed capers, 2 tablespoons golden raisins, and 1/4 teaspoon minced hot chile, 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup sherry vinegar; simmer 2 minutes. Serve over roasted vegetables or seared fish.
5 of 5
Rinse, drain, and use salt-packed capers as is. "Nicoise up" potato or tuna salad; elevate deviled eggs, sliced tomatoes, or steamed green beans; toss with toasted breadcrumbs and pasta; add to pesto or vinaigrette.
You Just Viewed
In Our Pantry: Salt-Packed CapersReplay
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- The Barest Simmer
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Decorate with Brass
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- A Blueprint for Color
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions