Grilled Chicken With Summer Squashes and Parsley
- 1 whole 4-pound chicken, backbone removed, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 lemons, cut in half crosswise
- 2 pounds summer squashes (about 4 medium), such as zucchini and yellow squash, cut on the bias into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 anchovy fillets packed in olive oil, rinsed, patted dry, and minced (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Preheat grill to medium heat. Rub chicken with 1 teaspoon oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Brush hot grill grate with oil. Place chicken, skin side down, and lemons, cut side down, on grill grate and cover. Cook 10 minutes. Transfer lemons to a plate. Continue cooking chicken 5 minutes. Flip and cook 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, toss squashes with 2 teaspoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add to grill, cover, and cook, turning squashes occasionally, until squashes are tender and browned in places and a thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken breast (do not touch bone) reaches 165 degrees, about 10 minutes.
Squeeze juice of grilled lemons into a bowl, whisk in anchovies and remaining 7 tablespoons oil, and stir in parsley. Cut chicken into pieces and serve with vegetables and parsley dressing.