Under 30 Minutes
Tomato and Mango Salad with Chiles and Tomato Essence
This colorful mix is dressed with tomato water, which is made by draining pureed tomatoes for a day. It may look pale, but its flavor is astonishing: You'll want to spoon up every drop.
- 1 cold small ripe mango, preferably Champagne (about 1 pound)
- 1 chilled Kirby or Persian cucumber (about 5 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered if large, or sliced larger tomatoes
- 1 red Thai or serrano chile, very thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 cup Thai or Italian basil leaves and buds, half roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/3 cups cold Tomato Essence
Peel mango and cut flesh from pit; discard pit. Cut flesh lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Toss with cucumber, tomatoes, chile, chopped basil, and oil. Season with salt and divide salad among 4 bowls. Divide tomato essence among bowls, garnish with remaining basil, and drizzle with more oil.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July 2013