Tuscan Bread Salad
- 10 ounces day-old country bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound cooked cannellini beans (5 1/2 ounces dried beans)
- 20 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 8 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped (optional)
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thinly on the bias
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, seeded and sliced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil, plus more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat an oven to 325 degrees. Arrange the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet, and toast until the bread is completely dry but not browned. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
In a large bowl, add all the ingredients and gently toss until thoroughly combined. Let stand for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.
SourceMartha Stewart's Cooking School